Monday, August 22, 2011

When I grow up I want to be Tammi Taylor





I died a little when Friday Night Lights ended its run after five amazing seasons. I never thought I could love a high school football drama this much. But it really is one of the most brilliant TV shows ever created.

Fortunately for the many rabid FNL fans out there, plans are currently being drawn up for another Friday Night Lights movie that takes off from where the series ended. Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton will be reprising their roles as Coach Taylor and Mrs. Coach.

The show’s premise was based on H.G. Bissinger's non-fiction book of the same title, which chronicles Permian High's quest for state championship in the small football-obsessed west Texas town of Odessa.

It was adapted into film in 2004, which was really, really good, but since it was based on the real-life 1988 Permian Panthers football team, don't expect Tim Riggins (Taylor Kitsch) or Luke Gafferty (Matt Lauria) to make an appearance. It did have another beautiful male specimen: Garrett Hedlund. (third from left) Sigh.



Incidentally, Connie Britton played the really minor but memorable role of the coach's wife in the first movie too. She got to show off her acting chops in the TV series as Tammi Taylor, the best TV mom in history, y'all. Her words of wisdom, spoken with her charming Texas drawl, alone makes the show worth watching.

My best friend found the book for me at a bargain book bin. I cannot wait to start reading it. I just need to get some pressing work-stuff out of the way… Don’t you just hate how real life gets in the way of reading?


No comments:

Post a Comment